PDA

View Full Version : Rigging:Smooth Bind/Rigid Bind

eddgarpv
05-25-04, 12:22 AM
Hi.. I'm making some test on animation, since all this time I've been only experimenting with modeling/rendering.. I've made a character (a quadruped) similar to those elephants in a Dal?'s painting. In past projects, I've been fine with smooth binding and some paint skin weights tool, but it's quite tedious... I've reading the maya character riggin tut @ alias (using rigid bind) and looks easier.

What could you people recommend? Of course i'll test two methods, but would be fine to hear some proposals.. Hope to post some images of rigging tests..

Thanks

eddgarpv
05-25-04, 12:25 AM
This is the skeleton (so far) .. I won't need too much joints since I'm only making a walk cycle ...
So maybe won't be too difficult, but nobody knows :)

sabotage3d
05-25-04, 08:19 AM
ofcourse smooth bind and you can add some muscles :)
Painting weights is the best way trust me

eddgarpv
05-25-04, 01:24 PM
I'll start with smooth bind... I was used to think that this was the easiest process but now I doubt it ;)
The tut from alias will help to think about muscles...

thanks

eddgarpv
05-25-04, 01:56 PM
yep.. I was using subdivision surfaces before and maybe that wasn't the way.
Now I'm painting a low poly and using a smooth proxy object that probably will become a subdivision.

sabotage3d
05-25-04, 05:37 PM
ofcourse this is the way to paint it on the low poly
I can advice you to use normal or displacement mapping
and you can animate the low version of your model and retain the detail in render

eddgarpv
05-26-04, 03:33 PM
Since I have to move to another city, I can't continue on this animation..
This finished as a displacement map test over animated geometry than animation itself, because couldn't add even a single muscle on the legs.. anyway, as you said, animating the low poly (carefully of displacement bounds) and having control of details at the same time is very useful.

I've made a little sequence to show detail.

http://www.prodigyweb.net.mx/jclepev/elefantene.mov

Hope to post more on this as soon as i can..

Thanks

[Edited on 26/5/2004 by Sunstar]

negativecitizen
05-28-04, 03:27 AM
le veria muy bien a tu personaje controles para acciones secundarias como el movimiento de la cola por la inercia o el desplazamento de las partes menos rigidas de las orejas ,Y un entorno me parece que es sumamente importante.