PDA

View Full Version : questions about renderman

artoon
06-08-04, 04:32 PM
Hi, I?m pretty new to Renderman and I've got some questions...
Is it possible to make a shading network in maya, using hypershade, with shaders and textures (bitmaps) and render with Renderman? How can I do it? If it's not possible and I can only render the shaders and textures produced by Slim, why would Pixar sell Renderman alone, without the Artist Tools?
Another question, I was just making a simple test and I created a cube, put a bitmap of a dice and in the uv editor in maya, I placed all uvs. When I pressed 6, the texture was pretty much ok, I tryed to make the same thing with a blin material in Slim, called the same texture (that was made using "power of 2") to Slim and when I rendered, the uvs were wrong. I tryed to change the manifold to mayauv, and others, but it didn't work. What exactly do I have to do to?
And the last one... Is it possible to see the texture that u make in Slim on screen? If it's not possible, is there any plugin to see that? I'm asking that because I just don't believe that all major studios work in this way, they don't see the texture in the viewport...

Well, thanx in advance,

Artur

Doc
06-09-04, 12:11 AM
Is it possible to make a shading network in maya, using hypershade, with shaders and textures (bitmaps) and render with Renderman?

Answer: No, is not possible.

If it's not possible and I can only render the shaders and textures produced by Slim, why would Pixar sell Renderman alone, without the Artist Tools?

Answer: Because Slim is just a GUI to build shaders that actually can be written in the notepad

And the last one... Is it possible to see the texture that u make in Slim on screen?

What "texture" are you talking about? Procedural texture?

As I can see so far you need to read a lot more about RenderMan. Try this book to start:
Essential Renderman Fast (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1852336080/qid=1086739463/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/103-7643574-6867864?v=glance&s=books)