PDA

View Full Version : Underworld: Evolution

Sunstar
02-01-06, 11:50 PM
Please let us know what you think of this interview, do you think we should do more of this kind of Interviews?

If you haven't read the interview, please follow this LINK (http://www.deathfall.com/feature.php?op=showcontent&id=58)

eddgarpv
02-02-06, 12:54 AM
Really cool. There's a lot of work there and we can learn a lot of what's behind it.
I'm sure they considered some flavor of linux but would be interesting if any of you guys (David, Pavel or Chad) can tell us a bit more (I may be wrong tho :) ).

Congrats for this interview and Luma Pictures team of course.

Chadrik
02-02-06, 05:48 PM
we definitely did consider linux at the time that we made the switch to Apple (a little over 2 years ago). when Apple purchased Shake they made a real power-move into the visual fx industry - they discontinued Shake for PC and they made the price on Mac 1/2 of what it was on linux. Plus, if i'm not mistaken, they made rendering licenses free on Mac while they were still another several grand a piece on linux. the overall saving was calculated to be in the upper tens of thousands. we were a lot smaller then so this kind of money was something that we just could not be ignore, but i don't want to suggest that it was the only reason.

at the time i was a big proponent of going linux, but now, as i've gotten more experience with both osx and linux, i realize that osx has a LOT to offer in the realm of usability that linux just does not have right now. we are an artist-driven company -- we don't have a sinlge programmer who did not at first start out as an artist -- so there's a big emphasis at luma on creating a pipeline that is intuitve for artists to use. Apple really helps us to achieve this. plus, lets not forget, it really IS a flavor of linux, so we get many of the benefits of that platform as well.

with the addition of the quadro cards and the new intel dual-core chips, i think Apple is showing that they are dedicated to providing the performance we need in the vfx industry. [fingers crossed]

eddgarpv
02-02-06, 06:17 PM
Thanks Chadrik, it's more clear now.
Definitively, Apple is growing in the vfx industry and who knows, maybe tomorrow we'll be thinking different ;)

Camote_Guau_18
02-03-06, 01:43 AM
Yeah, i like to see some other software ported to OSX and Linux like 3dmax. Maybe Autodesk made the move now... or maybe they had a secret agreement with microsoft ;)

By the way, the interview was great Sunstar, you really need to show us more stuff like that. The work of Luma it's first class, hope the movie don't take too long to hit the mexican theathers.

Cheers.