• Home
  • Tutorials
  • Render Layers - Fake Refraction
    • Render Layers - Fake Refraction Sunstar
      Render Layers - Fake Refraction
      In this tutorial I'm going to show you haw to create a Normal shader from scratch and how to use it in Nuke to simulate refraction.
      This is the third of several tutorials where I'm going to teach you how to render and use all the different render layers/passes to light and shade your scenes using Maya and Nuke.

Requirements:

Maya

We need to create a render layer named NOR for the new Normal shader we are going to create.

Now we are going to create a network of nodes starting from a Surface Shader, then we create a Set Range node and then a Sampler Info node.

We then need to connect the normalCameraX output from the samplerInfo node into the valueX of the setRange, then the the normalCameraY into the valueY and then facingRatio into valueZ.

Then just put these values into the samplerInfo:

Then we assign the shader into our object and we do a render and we got this:

The green channel have the information from bottom to top, the red channel from left to right and the blue channel from the center to the sides.

Is very important to set the framebuffer / Data Type into RGBA (Float) 4x32 Bit.

Nuke

This part of the tutorial will come soon this week, you can look at the video while I finish writing this part of the tutorial.
      Adversitment
      • Latest Articles

• Top Stories

• Similar Stories

• Related Stories

• Last Coolthreads