+ Reply to Thread

Canada

Burnaby

Autodesk Maya

Alancran is on a distinguished road

Feb 2002

May 31, 2004

# 1
      ok, got this problem, i need to transfer Uvs from one polyobject to another, BUT i need to keep to keep the one that i already have.
      the thing is...i have a low poly surface that in wich i do all my uv unwrap then, i smooth it out and export as an obj, then i bring that same hi poly but with another uv set totally different, i got the two surfaces in maya with same polycount but i havent been able to transfer the uvsets without the original gone.

thanks

Flux is on a distinguished road

Jul 2004

July 31, 2004

# 2
      ok, got this problem, i need to transfer Uvs from one polyobject to another, BUT i need to keep to keep the one that i already have.
      the thing is...i have a low poly surface that in wich i do all my uv unwrap then, i smooth it out and export as an obj, then i bring that same hi poly but with another uv set totally different, i got the two surfaces in maya with same polycount but i havent been able to transfer the uvsets without the original gone.

thanks
      well ur question is a bit ...??twisted but as i come to understand it.. i mean that first
      1_ u unwraped the uv at LOWPOLY
      2_ applied one smooth action on it
      3_ exported it as .obj
      4_ imported that .obj with the same poly count n now u cant tranfer the uv,s on that .obj file
      if that is the case then first u have to apply one smooth on ur low poly to match ur .obj file poly count n then transfer the uv,s ...BUT
      NOTE: the root cause for this is problem is with ur .obj file n its because its import setting whenever u export any poly to an .obj file n import it back in maya . maya reorders those vertices ...??ya its true u may see the poly count of ur .obj same as ur poly object but the verice order is changed
      n solution is ..? when ever u import go in to import option n choose .obj n u will see a dialoge box in the same window "file type specification (create multiple objects) TRUE or False"
      check false n import it. now transfer the uv,s n see what happens
      i hope i answer ur question

[Edited on 31/7/04 by Flux]

3. July 31, 2004

# 3
      Had forgoten about that in a while, but i will give it a try, thanks a lot for your reply.
      Al