• Mesh Vs Poly
  • Coolthreads cool cool
    Adversitment
    + Reply to Thread

Brocoli is on a distinguished road

Sep 2004

September 7, 2004

# 1
      Simple question seeking simple answer... What's the real difference between mesh & poly modeling?

[Edited on 8/9/04 by Brocoli]

El Salvador

San Salvador

Autodesk 3ds Max

DESPISTADO is on a distinguished road

Mar 2003

September 8, 2004

# 2
      mesh render more fast than poly but poly have more tools for modeling

best regards

Canada

toonman is on a distinguished road

Sep 2002

September 24, 2004

# 3
      There are a number of differences here. Fundamentally, the internal architecture of each objectClass is different. Poly objects are based on edge connectivity information, something inexistent in meshes. This information allows the poly objects to perform very fast edge-based operations (as you have probably noticed if you do a lot of loop-based modeling). Much of the modeling operations performed nowadays by most 3d packages take advantyage of this architecture. Therefore, it is a better choice for modeling for most people.

Meshes do not render faster than poly objects. Poly objects do have speed issues, but they are related to viewport display. Video cards are manufactured to display triangles in the viewports. Since poly objects are not triangle-based, there has to be a "translation" step so that the application can send the video card the triangle strips it expects. This extra step can be noticeable when it comes to viewport performance. However, it can also be easly fixed... just add a mesh select modifier on top of your stack so that the object becomes a mesh. It'll still be a poly object below in the stack, but the video card gets a mesh that needs no translation.

I hope this explains it a bit. Cheers!

4. September 24, 2004

# 4
      mesh render more fast than poly and i probe it with this 2 images both images have 3 meshsmoth iterations with 584,320 faces one is poly and the other one is mesh compare the times youll noticed the difference thats the reason i always convert poly model to a mesh it save time

best regards

Attached Thumbnails:

Click image for larger version

Name:	POLYS.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	10490  

5. September 24, 2004

# 5
      mesh

Attached Thumbnails:

Click image for larger version

Name:	MESH.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	10491  

6. September 29, 2004

# 6
      I'll run some tests. Thanks!

Lithuania

psykovsky is on a distinguished road

Apr 2005

April 9, 2005

# 7
      DESPISTADO it is obvious, that these renders has the different params (I can see that in the second (faster) image, where antialias is turned off) maybe the other params was simplified to Next issue is render time - without light set and Iradiance or GI I newer get rendertimes more than 40s, even if the scene is too complicated

Now about the main theme - "MESH vs. POLY".
      The poly ones is the same mesh, but has a lot more of editing tools, and is mainly created for moddeling in quads (four sided planes) when mesh mainly operates on triangles There is no big difference in renderring, but alot of lag in viewports (Mesh review is much faster than the poly ones), thats why discreet created a new tool called TurboSmooth, it smooths the poly or whatever you want to smooth, and shows the result as simple mesh, because it decreases the lag in the viewport (but has no effect in render time).

So, I think that we dont need to discuss about that, infact, I'd suggest you to disscuss about "POLY vs PATCH", it'd be more usefull than this :P

Dont be angry at me, and sorry for my bad english

8. April 10, 2005

# 8
      DESPISTADO it is obvious, that these renders has the different params (I can see that in the second (faster) image, where antialias is turned off) maybe the other params was simplified to
      lol that was funny, i didnt change the antialias in the second image, i see no reason to do that lol both image have the same settings, you see that because the size of two images are differents that happen when you save an image with low quality :P check it in the properties of every image :P youll see thats the reason the second image look jagged hahahaha

best regards

9. April 11, 2005

# 9
      Now about the main theme - "MESH vs. POLY".
      The poly ones is the same mesh, but has a lot more of editing tools, and is mainly created for moddeling in quads (four sided planes) when mesh mainly operates on triangles
      This is not entirely accurate. The underlying architecture for both mesh and poly objects is completely different. It's not that a poly object just 'has more tools'... it has them because internally, they way it's built allows for these tools to work (otherwise, we'd have the same tools in regular mesh objects). It's true that meshes work on triangles, because that's what they are. Poly objects support n-sided poligons, but can also work on triangles if needed (they need to be tessallated at rendertime anyway, just as any other surface).

There is no big difference in renderring, but alot of lag in viewports (Mesh review is much faster than the poly ones), thats why discreet created a new tool called TurboSmooth, it smooths the poly or whatever you want to smooth, and shows the result as simple mesh, because it decreases the lag in the viewport (but has no effect in render time).
      Turbosmooth does much more that piping out a mesh... it's also deprived of the creasing and sub-object tools available in MeshSmooth (although it can respect pre-defined creasing, which is quite nice!)

So, I think that we dont need to discuss about that, infact, I'd suggest you to disscuss about "POLY vs PATCH", it'd be more usefull than this :P
      That'd be like comparing oranges to apples... :P