United Kingdom

london

Autodesk Maya

arosda is on a distinguished road

Nov 2004

December 13, 2004

# 1
      OK, my first quesion here, i hope it?s a good one:
      What i?m triing to do is to use a point light with it?s shadows like a volume light. If i deform the volume light with the scale the fallof of the light will deform in the same way. So i use a TCL in the fallof ["mel "getAttrvolumelight.scalex"] and it works, it deforms the light in renderman in an uniform way, x,y and z. My inttention is to control the x,y and z of the volume light and deform the fallof of the light in the same way. By the way i had problems with the shadows so i decided to use point lights with it six shadows maps.
      Here you have a link with a tutorial about waht i want to do (it?s a max tutorial with omni lights)
      http://www.cgarchitect.com/resources/tutorials/smoke3d/tutorial10.asp

Romania

Zamolxes is on a distinguished road

Dec 2004

December 13, 2004

# 2
      so what's your question...?

3. December 13, 2004

# 3
      sorry, what i want to do is to control the point light?s fallof in an independent way, i mean i want to control x, y and z of the fallof. Like the max?s tutorial. I tried with the volume light like i said but it controls all the axis in the same way. Thanks

4. December 13, 2004

# 4
      I don't think you can control the point light?s falloff independently, but I could be very wrong.... Did you go to Pixar's Renderman forum? The big boys know everything and usually answer all kinds of questions, from simple to super-fancy... The forum is here: http://<b>https://renderman.pixar.co.../index.php</b> But as far as I could guess... I'm not sure it's a point light what you need in the first place, if you're doing what I'm guessing it is that you're doing (and my opinion is that you should definitely think well before using 6 shadow maps instead of 1). What kind of problems did you encounter with other types of light?

5. December 13, 2004

# 5
      what i need is omnidirectional or volume lights with shadows to be reused and that i want also to use falloff on them, but my problem is that this falloff is uniform in all axis, i would like to deform it. I also tried mtorcoordsys to specify the area where the light will be and with a gradient ramp in the color i especified this falloff. With this coordsys I could deform the falloff only in two axis, but i need the trhee axis. Thanks, for your fast answer. What do you think? Can you imagine a way for doing this like the tutorial i posted? thanks again